Sunday, October 25, 2015

Vinyl Versus ITunes

Hello to my readers, I am so sorry it has been such a long time since we last spoke. Today I am going to explain why I prefer vinyl, as opposed to downloading music on my iPhone.
This is what a vinyl, or record looks like.

Itunes is great because you can take it on the go and you can pretty much be anywhere, and download a song.  However, I prefer going out and buying records for a number of reasons. 
First of all there,  there is a very distinct scent of old or vintage books, which records also have in common. Old books smell similar to almond, as well as an earthy aroma because of the chemicals used in the process of creation. When you walk into a record store,it has sort of a new car smell I guess, it is hard to describe.
Second, unlike downloading a song you get to go out and have an adventure. Many record stores I have been to, hold all sorts of people who express themselves, in a variety of different forms of music. Records are organized alphabetically and by genre and can take quite a while to look through, but on the way of finding what you want you are exposed to other artists as well. 
I feel refreshed knowing my records are organized, which comes with a very relaxed energy. Personally, organization means a lot and sometimes the music on my phone is all over the place. You are not held back by data when collecting records, as you may find yourself like on your phone, or whatever you open Itunes on. 
Some older artists would hide messages in their records for their fans to listen to. The Beatles would create songs that when played in reverse on a record player, could be heard by those who enjoyed their music. Many of the messages, however, caused curiosity and a theory regarding the band, called The Paul Mccartney Conspiracy to develop. By owning a record player, I can hear these messages for myself. 
The history of where the records come from or are pressed tends to fascinate me. There are stories of records that were illegal because of their covers in the US, that were hidden behind stickers, and when you own a record you can consider the people before you who could have shared the music with their families too. 
Having records requires responsibility and organization, that is, if you want to keep them in good condition. Getting to hold a solid copy of what may have downloaded on a phone is truly great. 
Whether it is the sound of the needle clearing with the beautiful sound of music, or history of its creation,  I love my vinyl. 
For these reasons, I believe owning vinyl is far more valuable than owning songs on Itunes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment